Translate

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Race to build Sleepout #6


Izumi was my number one helper once again, this time using a broom to hold the Gib (plaster board) in place on the ceiling while I screwed it in place. Once I had all the Gib on, it was time to add all the skirtings and window moldings then stop all the gaps with stopping compound. Once all the wiring was finished and power connected I no longer needed to run an extension lead from the house which was a potential safety issue with all the rain we've been having.


Fast forward a week or so and all the painting's done. The colour's called "Tea Ceremony" which seemed kind of appropriate, in view of our niece who's Japanese (she's also trained in the art of the Tea Ceremony). So all that remains are a few finishing touches, including carpet which my mate Bruce came to lay for me today. Bruce is actually a north shore linolayer but he often lays carpet too. And "Voila" it's practiaclly finished... at least on the inside.




So, we're finally ready to start using it. 
The race is finished! 

There's still a bit of work to do on the outside like finishing the decking, installing the underfloor insulation and adding flashings and guttering to the roof, but that can wait for now as April's going to be a busy month.

Read next article on this subject here.


8 comments:

  1. I'm impressed. I love that green you painted the walls. You've done a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tony, Shame it took twice as long as I'd hoped but that's often the way with these kind of things.
    The reason for the green was that we wanted to accentuate the feeling of living in the garden. We were aiming for something peaceful but the colour turned out a bit more vibrant than we imagined. But I think I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really inspired! I'm just about to start assembly of a studio in our garden for my wife, using a steel frame base. Will take every molecule of DIY-ability I have amassed to this point (and then some), but I'll keep re-reading your series on this sleepout (very nice) to keep me focused and to keep reminding myself that I'll get there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pleased to know that I've inspired somebody. I've been working on projects around the house and garden for almost 20 years and this would have to be the most ambitious project I've undertaken on my own so far.

    We've had bigger jobs done but I've usually had a professional doing them while I observe closely in the background, doing what I can to help. So like you, I too have had to muster ALL the DIY experience I've gleaned over quite a few years to be able to do it with any confidence.

    BTW: Thanks for visiting my blog. It seems there's more than DIY we have in common.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a nice little place! Small and cozy and in such a beautiful setting. I think it'd be very peaceful there. Your niece should love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes it's very peaceful, except for the mosquitos. We need to keep the doors and windows shut to keep them out. The mosquitos round here seem to love Japanese blood so my wife and niece make good decoys.

    I need to organise some kind of screening next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello awesome to ready you're blog! We are embarking I our own diy sleepout I was just wondering how much it all cost you in the end? Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All up, we spent about $10-11,000 but that was 5 years ago but since then costs are constantly rising. I'm still really glad I built it. We got our money back in the first year or so, as it enabled us to take in an extra homestay student. And even though it's currently being used for storage, I love how it's given us more options.

      Delete