Translate

Monday, December 13, 2010

Thinking Laterally

How to turn the simplest job in the garden into a complicated one... 

Connecting 2 Hoses
Having added 2 new gardens at the far end of the property I came to realise that my hose wasn’t long enough to reach them and they were desperately in need of water. A simple enough problem to fix you might think... All I needed was a simple hose connector for joining 2 hoses together like the one pictured... 

As usual, despite the fact that I do keep all sorts of bits and pieces around the place I couldn’t find what I needed to do the job. It seemed rather a waste of time and effort (not to mention carbon credits) to go all the way to the shop to buy such a seemingly insignificant item. 
After turning the shed upside down looking for what I needed I discovered I had a number of other hose connecting paraphernalia including 2x 3-way hose connectors and at least a half dozen end bits – but what could I do with them? 
This is what I came up with...

As it turned out the whole exercise took about an hour which is longer than the time it would’ve taken to go to the shop and buy what I needed.
By the way, in case you’re wondering how I was able to take a photo of the connector I needed, I actually found one a couple of weeks later when looking for something else I needed! 

Don’t you hate it when that happens?

2 comments:

  1. That's a rather unusual hose configuration.
    I had a similar problem with super glue recently. I searched the whole house for a tube of super glue to fix something. None anywhere but I was sure we had some. Michelle got some the next day. That same day she found a full unopened tube in the kitchen junk drawer. The same drawer I searched through several times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has such problems. Anyway now you have 2 tubes of superglue right... If this happened to me I wouldn't need to use either of them again until they'd both passed their 'use by' dates. Doh!

    ReplyDelete