Translate

Monday, April 1, 2019

Shifting the Bay Tree

Several years ago I acquired a cute potted Bay tree that was clipped in a round pom-pom (topiary) on top of a single standard trunk. At the time I struggled to find a suitable place for it in the garden. As it was only small when I first got it, I thought it would look nice behind my brick BBQ. As it turns out it seemed to really love this position and has grown quite big. Over the years I've kept it clipped in the same cute shape.

However, I came to realise over the last year or so that I'd put it in the wrong place. It had finally outgrown the space I'd given it and I realised something needed to be done.



During that same few years I had a Jacaranda tree growing in a bigger space next to it. I'd hoped that the Jacaranda would become a central feature in my back garden next to the BBQ especially once it matured and produced a canopy of soft lilac flowers. Unfortunately, that never happened! It just never really took off and eventually died. So I pulled it out, removed the stump and was left with a huge hole.

The next step was obvious. Move the Bay tree into the newly created space. After doing a bit of research I realised the best time of year for transplanting larger trees was after the height of summer and into the Autumn when there is less risk of the tree drying out and becoming stressed due to moisture loss.


So I dug a narrow trench around the tree as far away from the trunk as possible, which was difficult in such a confined space. Inevitably, I had to cut through several roots about the thickness of my fingers. Removing a section of the keystone wall helped me get better access. Eventually it came free and I got my wife Marie to help me lift it into its new space.

I added a good amount of home-made compost to the soil and back-filled around it, staking it firmly so it wouldn't lean over. Then I gave it a good watering and clipped it to shape again. I managed to get it all done in time for an end of summer BBQ where it now stands proudly as a new prominent feature in that part of the garden.


All that was needed then was to tidy up around the BBQ and have a few friends around to enjoy the space once again.


No comments:

Post a Comment