Translate

Tuesday, May 7, 2019

The 'Back to Eden' gardening method

I recently heard about an approach to organic gardening that has confirmed a lot of my own thoughts regarding the seemingly elusive, natural approach to gardening. For me it ticks all the boxes by encouraging the garden to function as it was designed to, naturally, without the use of complicated chemicals, sprays and fertilising systems.

The method I refer to has been dubbed 'Back to Eden' which recognises that the systems that work best are already there in nature, we just need to understand them and work with them. I’ve thought about this a great deal over the years with all my efforts to compost and feed the soil naturally, but I have struggled to know exactly what I should be doing and how, until I watched a documentary film on u-tube recently entitled the 'back to eden' gardening method which focusses on imitating nature by covering the soil and mulching, which brings huge benefits to the soil.



There’s a short version of the film which goes for about 20mins (use link above), and a longer version that goes for 1 hour and 43 minutes. If you can spare the time I recommend the long one as it has lots of interesting interviews and examples showing the various conditions it applies to and the various results attained. Having said that, I watched the shorter one first which is like a trailer but I was intrigued, so I watched the full version which you can see here.

If you believe the earth is the product of an All-wise Creator then you may appreciate the various quotations from the bible that inspired the Author Paul Gautschi and which he makes reference to. If not, it doesn't matter, because it all makes such perfect sense regardless.


The movie has already inspired me to make plans for a renewed focus in my garden, which thankfully only requires a bit of tweaking. Suffice to say, there are 2 words that sum up this approach to gardening, Sustainability and Permaculture.


You may hear me talk about aspects of this method in my garden moving forward.




No comments:

Post a Comment