Translate

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Harvesting Myoga Ginger

One thing I wanted to do when summer rolled around again was to make a short video showing how we harvest the Myoga Ginger as there seems to be a lot of interest in this plant and most examples on U-tube are mostly in Japanese.

So here’s the link. I hope you find it interesting and useful...

Watch U-tube Video

Harvesting is easy. The bulbs grow at the base of the plant at ground level. Sometimes you'll notice a flower shooting out the end of it. Using a sharp knife simply cut the bulb off. This may involve cutting below the surface of the ground to reach the base of the bulb.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks , a good help . Just brought my first plant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to know I've inspired someone. Which part of the world?

      Delete
  2. Hello Dave!

    Just been reading your gardening blog (know it was posted awhile back), and saw you hv mioga ginger!!! My mom loves them as it reminds her of when she was younger! I was wondering if you had some which I could have to grow them for my mom??? It would be so totally wonderful if she had those again! She's 65 going 66.

    Looking forward to hearing from you!
    Thank you,
    Evon

    Sent from my mobile while on the go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marvel, Sorry I missed your comment. If you're in the Auckland area, you could drop by to pick some up. Message me to arrange a time.

      Delete
  3. Love your blog and the information you provide. We just were gifted several large garbage size bags with roots. I guess we’re going to be adding this crop to our farm offering 🤣
    Michelle
    Washington State USA

    ReplyDelete